Homework - Urban dereliction, social problems and inequality
Detroit - the ruins left behind when a city loses half it's population
Watch the video about Detroit. what evidence is there that urban decline has taken place:
Claymore, Sydney - Australia
The social housing experiment that went wrong
Watch the programme below and answer the questions - You do not need to watch the whole programme. Start at the beginning and watch the first 3 minutes, then skip forward to 18:40 and watch up to 19:35
- When was Claymore created?
- Where in Sydney is Claymore?
- How many people live there?
- Between 01:15 and 01:28, what evidence do you see of urban dereliction?
- What happened in 2010?
- What is this process called?
- Why so you think a mixture of private and public housing was proposed? How would this help?
St Louis - The city divided by one street
The city of
St Louis, Missouri, remains one of the most segregated cities in
But one street in particular has been known to residents as the "dividing
Watch this clip: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17361995
- What evidence is there that the south of Delmar Boulevard is better off than the north?
- What might explain this disparity?
- What problems exist on the northern side?